Hallock and McMillan Building: History Transformed
Some things can’t be rushed, and that pretty much describes the latest chapter of the story we’ve been telling about the historic restoration of Portland’s Hallock and McMillan Building. Built in 1857 by Abasolom Hallock, the city’s first architect, the Hallock-McMillan is Portland’s oldest brick and cast iron commercial building.
Portland developer and building owner John Russell bought the Hallock-McMillan in 2010, with a plan to return the building to its 1857 appearance. In 2011, John commissioned us to document the first chapter of the building’s restoration: recreating patterns of the building’s original cast iron design pieces, and then, the sand casting process, where molten iron is poured into sand molds.
After the pour, the story went dark. Or so we thought. But the restoration continued, and in early 2019, John brought us in to help him tell the next chapter of the Hallock-McMillan story: the restoration of the building’s brick facade.
The wait was worth it. And rather than tell you about it, we’ll let our pictures do the talking.